Friday, January 14, 2011

Mirror Mirror on the Wall

Well now that I have started blogging I have been wondering what is appropriate timing for blogging.  I have a lot of ideas but don't want to pressure myself to blog every day or every week.  I think I will just go with the flow and when it comes .... BLOG!

I am interested if other people have the same weird thoughts that I do about certain subjects.....and one of these subjects is WRINKLES.

During the Christmas break I had my son take a new photo of me for my work.  I thought it was time to get rid of the blonde streak.....since I have not had that for a couple of years now.  It was also known as "the skunk" look by my youngest dear son.  It was soon after that comment I suddenly had the urge to rid myself of the streak.

Reilly was very dedicated to the task and immediately popped it onto the computer screen for us to review and choose an appropriate photo.  Well the last couple of years have definitely changed my look.  You do look at yourself every day in the mirror but strangely you do not really look at yourself as you do when someone takes your photo.  I was wondering where the old me went.....well I guess that would be the young me.

So, while I was busy wondering that I noticed that he was busy working on my photo.......and yes, he was removing my wrinkles on Photoshop.  I asked him what he thought he was doing and he said, "Well you do want me to remove some of those don't you?"

That left me wondering......really is that necessary?  Do I really want to look younger....I mean yes I want to look younger but do I really want to look younger enough to change my looks on a photo?  And why should I do that?  It is me as I really look and why should I be ashamed of that?  Is this society's pressure for me to want this?

Of course he continued and I finally said, "Well don't take too many off....I want to look like me you know!"

I think we need to stand up to this obsession and say.....HELLO....we are what we are and let's face it....we are going to get old or die...and personally, I think I want to get old, have Grandkids, love my kids, enjoy life and experience it to the end.

I have earned every one of those and hope to earn some more.  I have a vivid memory of a woman in an old National Geographic magazine that I saw many years ago.  She was very wrinkled, almost to the point of looking like an old potato, but she was incredibly beautiful and so full of life.  Her face exuded all the years and experiences she had lived and I just loved that photo.

I want to make a change and it is going to start with me.....Mrs. old potato.....want to join me?

1 comment:

Abster said...

Your younger and just as wrinkly seester likes this blog too!